Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Laina Seay at Twist 73 for June 6- 27th 2009


Bio:
Laina Seay was born in Tupelo Mississippi, 1986, and raised in rural western Kentucky. She has recently graduated with a Bachelors of Fine Art from Western Kentucky University, studying ceramics under Tom Bartel. In 2007 she spent the summer working for the Alexandria Virginia Commission for the Arts doing research on public art programs resulting in a collaborative report submitted to the National Endowment for the Arts. Her work has been shown nationally including at the National Convention for Ceramic Arts, which awarded her the Regina Brown Fellowship grant for Undergraduates. Currently, she is attending graduate school.

Artist Statement:
The physical properties of clay allow me to exploit its nature in both raw and fired forms. Using video I am able to utilize the ephemeral nature of clay in an unfired, raw state by documenting the material as it dissolves in water or other liquids. By working in this manner I satisfy both my need to create objects and the requirements to capture the event. Other methods of working I use include multiple object interaction and installation.
Working in this manner I am able to combine what I make with my interests in politics, current events, and the human condition. Themes I often explore include individualism, consequences of authoritative power, and the role of citizens as a check of governing power. Events surrounding the last four years directly fuel my art as our country deals with war, economic crisis, and political expansion. The ultimate question I ask is what is in and out of our control as individual citizens both in our domestic government systems and on the global stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment